Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

The making of a dual custom cut autograph card...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

200lbhockeyplayer

Aug 10, 2008
Making customs is something I've done for years, and while some things have changed, people always seem to be curious as to what goes on. And for the record, the first custom I did was a for an old friend in a band probably 10 years ago...a piece of leather from his mask embedded into a card.

Step 1. The Components
Authentic autographs, front and back graphics and a piece of cardstock/board.
dual-custom-1.png

Step 2. Sizing the autographs
A standard card is 3.5" X 2.5" and you have to size and space the autographs correctly to fit. As shown in the picture, it becomes a "Frankenstein" almost of sliced and diced 3x5s. In this example, I had a mere 1/12" over "cover" in between the autographs, and I didn't want the seam between the signatures to shown. As they say...measure twice, cut once. Sometimes you're working with autographs that are in the thousands of dollars...you can't afford a screw up.
dual-custom-2.png

Step 3. Check the layout of the autographs
Always confirm that what you are doing still looks right. A half an inch off one way of the other could be a huge problem. In this case, I needed to constantly verify the thin artwork between the signatures would cover the seam.
dual-custom-3.png

Step 4. Secure the autographs
The last thing you want is to have the autographs move as you are applying the artwork with adhesive. Tape down and secure what you can, but make certain the tape does not touch the actual "card" area (the final 3.5 x 2.5") or it will create a ridge.
dual-custom-4.png

Step 5. Adhere the artwork
I build these in steps to allow for both sides to cure before affixing them to each other. Here you'll see the two halves of the card.
dual-custom-6.png

Step 6. Mount sides together...and wait.
With both sides now together with adhesive, you need to hold them firmly in place. Stacks of books work, but clamps are better.
dual-custom-9.png

Step 7. Unveiling
Once the adhesive has been given enough time to cure, removing the clamps and finally seeing it in its complete, but raw form and ready to be cut down to size.
dual-custom-10.png

Step 8. Free at last
The final step, cutting the card free from its "bleed" frame.
dual-custom-11.png

Step 9. Enjoy it.
I look at building customs as a hobby, within a hobby, within a hobby. And at the most raw level, it's a craft and you have to enjoy it. If you skimp on any aspect of the process, the whole process isn't worth it.Time, patience, and nit-picking are the top three commodities.

Attachments

• dual-custom-5.png
    dual-custom-5.png
    338.6 KB · Views: 100
Last edited:

mrwhitesox30

Oct 7, 2008
Very cool! I could have guessed some of those steps, but I didn't realize how precise you have to be on every single step. What do you use to cut out the final card in step 8?

UMich92

Sep 18, 2008
Good stuff as always. Really like the card but actually like seeing the creation process even more. What do you use for adhesive?

wideright

Aug 7, 2008
Holy crap Mike. Just an amazing talent you have. Curious on the final cutting, are you using an exacto and doing each edge with multiple scores or is it a die cut press? Thanks for the tutorial.

200lbhockeyplayer

Aug 10, 2008
Not sure why the images aren't all showing but who knows.

@MojoDan - For two players who typically sign pretty large, I'm definitely happy with how it came out. The "shift" on the Musial was needed to unfortunately clip the "Best Wishes" but it was the only way it would fit.

@ Brewer Andy - Thanks.

@mrwhitesox30 - Yeah, a lot of the steps are obvious, or obvious to anyone who has tried it. Other steps catch people off guard. As for the final cut, a razor sharp German engineered...utility knife with quality blades. Not too exciting.

@UMich92 - The adhesive depends on a lot of things...humidity and surface. The key is acid-free. Even though 3x5s are not acid free, I use acid-free adhesive and board throughout.

@wideright - I built a custom die to cut out the cards, but I'l still not happy with it. One of these days I'll master it and make my life a lot easier, but until then I'll "slum it" with a blade.

@A_Pharis - I'm patient and accurate...but it's my least favorite part for sure.

@Ryan The Orange - It's a hobby, and until the opportunity arises, it will stay a hobby. One thing is certain, there aren't any major card companies located in Sarcastica.

@George_Calfas - Thanks George, I figured you dig the Musial aspect and the theme.

Calripkenjrcollector

Dec 12, 2009
National City, California
Wow! That's pretty sweet. Maybe you can do something with this card. Please take a look at it and let me know how much you're going to charge me. I'd like to have the four pieces of memorabilia (1981) and the autograph in it. Is it possible?
2007ExquisiteSignatureMaterials.jpg

Yes, I'm the dummy who paid $36 for this not so beautiful card. Lesson learned? NEVER get on eBay after a couple of Rum & Cokes....... NEVER...

Last edited:

sneekc

Feb 1, 2009
really nice work on the customs, I've always enjoyed seeing yours. Couple questions:
What stock do you use? Do you use 2 sheets only? (I've used 110# Environment DTC Ultra Bright white, pasted 4 sheets together for an 1/8" thick card)
What do you print on? I usually use a Xerox 1000, Indigo, or Konica C6501
For the die cuts are you actually using a letterpress or punching with the die by hand/mallet/etc.?

By the way, if you ever need really good quality steel rule dies I'd be glad to send you who I use.

Mets/Jets

Sep 11, 2011
That is a great looking card. I love the two guys you put together on that one. Top notch as always. Enjoyed seeing the process too. Thanks.

metallicalex777

Super Moderator
Aug 7, 2008
Seattle, Wa
This is so neat to see again Mike!!! It is obvious your talents for the physical aspect of creating the actual card...but it is equally impressive on the amount of talent into the design, pictures, layout and sheer professional look to the front and back as well. Hats off to you sir!

heartyourlife

Jul 29, 2010
Iowa City, IA
Hey 200lb, I would be interested in either commissioning some cut signature cards from you or if you would be willing to teach, learning how to do these myself/what materials I need to try my hand.

If you would be interested in either, please pm me as I can't seem to pm you...

Thanks, your work is amazing!

Zach

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts